Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Concert Review: Robyn


    First things first, the LGBT, especially the G, was in full attendance at the concert. I loved it; made a couple of friends. But one person who's picture was featured in BYT's article about the show, was way too wasted and almost got chin checked by the people he kept falling on. You can hear him singing slurring badly in the videos.
    Everything before Robyn is barely worth mentioning.  After a very trying and adventure filled afternoon, we got to Ramshead Live a bit late, so we missed all of Natalie Kills except for two songs. I'm not really a fan, but from what I heard I don't think I will be. I will give her stuff a full listen before I make my final judgment.
    I was further disappointed by the second opening act, only because I thought it was supposed to be Marina and the Diamonds. Instead, a tall, blonde, very pretty young lad in gold lamé leggings and a bird like mask came on the stage.  I found out later that his name is Diamond Rings, so I guess that's how I made the mistake.  He was pretty good and has loads of potential, but 95% of the crowd was in agreement that we didn't care; we just wanted Robyn to come out.


    She came out a bit late, not Lauryn Hill late, and exudes a crazy amount of energy(which you can see in the video above, sorry for the horrible audio0 immediately and continuously.  She must do zumba or some high impact fast paced aerobics training.  Watching her just made me want to dance harder. Because of that I was surprised how good her voice sounded; she had a backing track but still. She did mostly her new stuff from her Body Talk albums. The stuff that has made her a staple in gay clubs, and relevant again.  But I wanted more of her older stuff like "Be Mine," "Dream On," and "Do You Really Want Me."

    I'm not complaining though, especially since she did three encores. Including a medley of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" and her own "Show Me Love."  If she hadn't done the latter, I might be complaining a little.  It was an amazing concert, cosigned by my sister who saw her in NYC a couple days later.  If you missed your chance to see her on her tour, check her out opening for Katy Perry this summer. More photos and videos, including the Dancing Queen/Show Me Love medley here.

No comments:

Post a Comment