Monday, February 28, 2011

Live and In Color - Jessie Boykins III


I loved being presently surprised. A couple of my friends and I decided to go out on Friday, thinking we were going to see Bilal. When we get there, the surprisingly friendly staff at The Park informed us he was not coming. We realized that we misread the eblast about the event that night. Since we had braved the bastardly cold wind, we decided to stay. Good thing we did because Jessi Boykins III put on a good show. He was engaged, entertaining, and energetic(didn't mean for the aliteration). His backing band really made the show; each instrument shined and came together as a solid whole. I liked the performance and music so much I did a rare thing these days; I purchased one of his physical cds their on the spot.

The Chicago born singer studied at The New School University with Bilal, hence the relation and misunderstanding. Music has clearly been a big part of his life, when he was 16 he was chosen to be a part of the Grammy Jazz Ensemble. Only thirteen singers were chosen from the whole nation. He is one of those artists who had talent and drive, but decided to nurture it through education and the study of the craft. Which is clearly reflected in his music. “I create World Soul that marks moments in time. Each time I introduce new music to my fans I want it to become a defining part of their lives as much as it is a part of mine.” Watch my new favorite version of "Limit To Your Love" below.

No comments:

Post a Comment