Thursday, March 10, 2011

Q&A With Aaron Thompson


Aaron Thompson - A Record, A Wheel from goldenbear on Vimeo.
Local indie folk artist Aaron Thompson, sounds like a mix of David Gray and Bob Dylan. With a voice made for folk, raspy enough to be cool but not so raspy that he is inaudible, Thompson paints a hauntingly beautiful picture of a life of substance. A life with ups and downs, passion, and love. His self-titled debut album could easily be the soundtrack to an indie movie; perhaps Garden State 2(I really hope they don't make that). The eventual Grammy winner was kind enough to answer a few of my questions.

1)When writing music, do you have a specific process you follow? or any rituals?
Usually I start with the melody. If it comes when I'm not around an instrument, I'll hum it until I can't forget it or record it on my phone. Later on I write the instrument parts, usually with a guitar and then the words follow. If I sit down with it and nothing comes for a few minutes, i move on to the next song. There's a big book of songs waiting to be finished, so there's always something to work on.

2)Do you think growing up on the east coast affected the music you listen to and make? If so, how?
Yes, and traveling around in Europe and Canada. The landscapes in my music come from the places I've been.

3)How does the reality of being a musician compare to "the dream"?
I would imagine very different depending on how you dream it. The downs are lower and the ups are higher. There's a lot of work involved with it that isn't so pretty, but being able to give good music to people makes it worth it.

4)Do you have any artist(s) or producer(s) that you really want to work with?
I'm about to record with Janel Leppin, a really great cellist - I'm excited to work with her. I really love what Flood just did with PJ Harvey's new record - I'll keep dreaming ;)

5)What is your favorite venue that you have played?
The Smithsonian Luce Center. And Living Room in New York! The two best shows I've had have been there - here's a video of the Smithsonian show. http://vimeo.com/19995576

6)Is there a venue you can't wait to play?
In DC, it would have to be the 9:30 club. The sound there is just so good.

7)Finish this line: Without music I.....
would be a caricature artist.

You can visit his site here to listen to more of his work, watch some live footage, and support his talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment