Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Album Review - Jessica 6 "See the Light"



   Jessica 6 is definitely a go see live act. A couple of months ago I saw them at U Street Music Hall. I went to the show after listening to two or so songs, honestly because it was something to do. I was completely impressed; from the music, the dancing, Nomi Ruiz's, lead singer, abs, everything exceeded my expectations. Their album See the Light was released yesterday, so I took some time to give it a spin.
   I say this a lot, but I can see myself playing the whole album straight while cleaning my apartment; dancing and singing to make the cleaning more enjoyable. You know the "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down" approach. Tracks like "Freak the Night" are mellow goodness that will permeate your brain, and then you catch yourself singing along without realizing you knew the words.
    Having heard most of the tracks live before listening to the album, I will say I preferred them live. This is not because they sound significantly different, more because of Ruiz's stage presence and the way she brought the songs to life. Also, her voice, while it works for the music, sounds unpolished on some tracks. But then on "Blessed Mother" her voice blends so well with the melancholy sound that it almost doesn't matter. Overall, I really like the album, I'm not over the moon for it. It is a nice change of pace and I can easily see them opening for acts like Little Dragon.

Standouts:Champagne Bubbles/Remember When, White Horse, Prisoner of Love, U Motion

No comments:

Post a Comment