Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Brilliance



         Quincy Jones was correct in saying you shouldn't compare him and Kanye West as producers; that's only because in comparison West is still pretty young in the game. In twenty years West can be every bit as prolific and varied in his producing as Jones. Jones' remarks came off hostile and as bitter as Lil' Kim's reaction to Nothing But Ass Nicki Minaj's rise. He has the career to back up his claims, but he clearly didn't notice how Kanye(extremely arrogant) he was being when he made the comment. Sounds like they have more in common than he wants to admit.
          Anywho, that brings me to West's new masterpiece 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy', which will no doubt be the #1 album this week. I have not come across a single site, magazine, blog, facebook/twitter status that says anything negative about this album. If interrupting the golden child's(Taylor Swift)acceptance speech caused him to reflect and create an album like this, than I think that was the best thing the golden child has done. I don't care what anyone says every one of West's albums have been all the way live(sorry for the dated slang)from start to finish.


           What I really love about this album is the use of guest artists. I think normally people shy away from relying on features that might make the album gimmicky. But here West allows lesser known artists to shine, up and comers to prove themselves, and established artists to do what they do best. And that's what West did with the production, he did what he does best; turning old school samples into modern bangers. I could go on and on, but the music speaks for itself.  I I had to pick, my favorite tracks are "Lost in the World," "So Appalled," "Monster," and "All the Lights." If you haven't heard the album yet, I will assume you are stuck in a mine don't like rap/hip hop.

2 comments:

  1. If you put your iPhone Equalizer on Flat, it sounds AWESOME!!!

    I've listened to the album about 20 times in the past 2 days.

    ReplyDelete